As Seniors Age, Their Risk of Disease and Health Problems Increases.
Preventative strategies can help seniors live healthier lives with fewer risks.
60% of older adults manage two or more chronic conditions, according to one study. Some conditions that affect seniors are preventable; others aren’t but may be improved if they are recognized early enough.
There are several preventative strategies seniors can use to protect their health and reduce their risks, including certain medical tests. It’s important for seniors to have these screenings performed.
Common Preventative Services for Seniors
Everyone Over 50
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Annual Wellness Exam
- Influenza Vaccine
- High Blood Pressure Screening
- Skin CheckMental
- Health Checkups
Everyone Over 65
- Annual Pneumococcal Vaccines
- Diabetes Screening
- Thyroid Screening
- Annual Vitamin D Test
- Bone Density Scan
- Semi-Annual Hearing Test
- Annual Periodontal Exams
- Shingles Vaccine
- Annual Eye Exams
• Cholesterol Screening
• Prostate Cancer Screening
• Cholesterol Screening
• Annual Breast Cancer Screening • Pelvic Exam and Pap Smear
• Osteoporosis Screening
(Healthline; Family Doctor)
Other Preventative Health Strategies
Besides screenings, tests, and vaccinations, the top strategies seniors can use to prevent health problems include:
• A healthy diet
• Regular exercise • Getting rest
How to Keep Track of Tests and Screenings
With so many steps to take for preventative care, it’s easy for some
tests to be overlooked or forgotten. Seniors should keep track of which services they have had performed and when. Some helpful methods for tracking include:
- Keep a checklist of annual screenings to be filled out each year
- Ask for copies of test results to keep in a binder
- Grant doctors’ offices permission to share files with each other electronically
- Sign up for electronic health records websites used by doctors’ offices
- Keep a long-term record of screenings, procedures, and other notable medical events to bring to annual wellness appointments(EverydayHealth)
Top Reasons to Take Preventative Measures
Did you know some preventable diseases can develop without noticeable symptoms? That’s one reason why screenings are important. Other reasons to have screenings as an older adult include:
• Might take actionable steps if warning signs of problems are detected • Possibly identify diseases early enough to treat them
• Reduce the impact of some conditions
• Improve the chances of living a long and healthy life
(Very Well Health)
Home Care Tip
Many preventative services, like wellness exams or certain vaccines, are covered by most health insurance providers. Ask insurance providers for a full list of free services seniors can take advantage of.
Whether you are looking for a reliable nurse for different medical services, or a professional aide for personal care services, Gulfshore Home Care is here to help. Because every client’s needs and lifestyle are different, our in-home care team will provide services specifically based on your loved one’s condition and circumstances.
We are located in the areas of Naples, Bonita Springs, Estero, and Marco Island. Please do not hesitate to give us a call at 239-249-8318
With our home health care services you will be able to live a happy, safe, and independent life. We invite you read more about us. Every situation is unique, so to have all of your specific questions answered with personalized information from a friendly local home care expert, call 239-249-8318 now!